Health Benefits of Physical Therapy
Do you suffer from back, leg, or neck pain? Have you been injured playing the sport you love and can’t seem to get back to 100%? Have you been injured in the workplace? If you answered yes to any of those questions and you are passionate about getting better, you have probably researched some treatment methods. The most popular search result for healing back pain is probably chiropractic care. It’s a great way to feel better fast and keep you feeling healthy but it doesn’t do as much for your body as physical therapy. Physical therapy, otherwise known as physiotherapy, is one of the best ways to recover from an injury. Not only will you heal the injury, but you will also strengthen the area in an effort to prevent recurring damage.
Here are the 8 best ways that physical therapy can help:
- Reduce or eliminate pain: Hands-on therapy can help to relieve pain and restore muscle and joint function to the affected area. These therapies can involve manual manipulation, electrical stimulation, ultrasound, and cold laser therapy.
- Avoid surgery: If you want to avoid surgery, physical therapy is for you! If physical therapy can help you relieve the pain and rehabilitate the injury, the need for surgery is eliminated. However, even if you do require surgery, physical therapy following the surgery may allow you to recover quicker.
- Improve mobility: Many older patients decide to give physical therapy a shot because it can improve their mobility. As we age, we like to keep our freedom and being able to move freely definitely helps! Stretching and strengthening exercises can help restore your ability to move freely. Not only will you receive treatment at your appointment, but you will also be given the knowledge required to stretch on your own!
- Recover from a stroke: It is common to lose function and movement to some degree following a stroke. Physical therapy can help to restore function to weakened areas and improve balance.
- Sports injuries: Whether you are trying to recover from a sports injury or prevent another one, physical therapy can help. Physiotherapists understand the effects of certain sports on the body and are able to recommend specific recovery or prevention exercises for you.
- Improve balance: As we age, we tend to lose our balance and are more susceptible to falls. Physiotherapists are able to suggest certain exercises that improve your coordination and balance.
- Diabetes and vascular conditions: Physical therapy can actually help you keep your blood sugar under control. Your physiotherapist can come up with a specialized combination of aerobic activity and strengthening exercises designed to help you control your diabetes or other vascular condition.
- Age-related issues: As we age, we are more prone to developing arthritis, osteoporosis, or may even need a joint replacement. Physical therapy can help you stay mobile and healthy with a specific treatment plan to meet your needs.
Next time you are looking for effective pain relief, injury recovery or prevention, or simply want to improve your strength and balance, visit your local physiotherapist and ask how they can help improve the quality of your life!